Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vodka Cream Sauce for Penne Pasta

                  
Parmeggiano cheese is obviously the best sprinkler for any pasta, but Franck said that it wasn't visible enough for the picture so he garnished it with Elemental grated French cheese. Tsk.
I love pasta. I grew up on the stuff. Mom knows how to make so many homemade sauces - and one of my favourites is pasta alla vongole (clam sauce) - but I've never tried cooking that.


Looking for an easy pasta sauce online, I came across Vodka Cream Sauce for Penne Pasta. Genius. Who doesn't like vodka? The ingredients were basic enough (meaning, I understood what they were):

Ingredients
butter (just a knife slice for the pan)
2 garlic cloves
1 onion
basil leaves
tomato purée
hot pepper flakes
soup spoon of sugar
several soup spoons of heavy cream
salt and pepper
2 shots of vodka (one per person, but I put 5 shots)
penne
*It says that you can also add chicken to this dish, but I of course, didn't take that option.

How to cook it:
Heat butter in a pan over a medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion. I found that the butter was used up too quickly and that the garlic and onion were burning, so I added olive oil, yes I also thought to turn down the element, but it was an afterthought. Add tomato purée and then the basil leaves (I didn't bother cutting them and they look nicer and tasted better whole) and pepper flakes. After the tomato has simmered add a soup spoon of sugar to get the acidity out. Also add a bit of salt and pepper... add the vodka shots (go heavy). Then about 25 minutes into it, add the cream until the sauce is a nice pinky colour. Boil water, add penne - cook it 'Al Dente' for the love of all things holy, drain and voilà.

Add parmeggiano cheese, more basil to garnish and "Buon appetito baby".

This was dish was easy enough and tasted great.


I have to be honest. I didn't wear heels. I know, I'm disappointed too. But let me put it this way, Franck was lucky I even cooked that night. ;)
Pasta always puts me in a fantastic mood though - and it always appears to be the centrepiece for an incredible atmosphere. 


Kirk Douglas and Sofia Loren enjoying spaghetti

Marcello Mastroianni
Ancora la Loren

No comments:

Post a Comment